Huntsman Advanced Materials is the world-leading source of phenoxy resins and phenoxy resin formulation. Phenoxies are used as an additive or binder in: epoxy systems, coatings, inks, adhesives, composites, plastics, electronics, films and fibers.
Phenoxy resins (phenoxies) are amorphous polymers that will not crystallize or build up stress concentrations. Phenoxy resin chemistry contains no additives, have low order of residual monomers and low molecular weight extractibles. They can be used without chemical conversion that might cause shrinkage, induce stress, or produce undesirable by-products.
Phenoxy resins can be used to modify many polymer systems including polyurethanes, polyesters, polyamides, epoxies, and many thermoplastic polymers including PPS, PEEK, PET, TPU’s, polycarbonate, and nylon. Phenoxy resins are also thermosetting with isocyanates, melamine, and phenolic crosslinkers. Phenoxy thermoset and phenoxy thermoplastic resin have a wide range of uses due to excellent mechanical properties including flexibility, toughness, adhesive and cohesive strength, as well as chemical, corrosion and heat resistance.
Following is a list of the wide range of applications of phenoxy resins / phenoxy resin uses.
- Composites Films
- Magnetic Tape Coatings
- Rigid and Flexible Packaging Coatings
- Epoxy Baking Primers
- Maintenance Primers
- Zinc-Rich Primers
- Shop and Heavy Equipment Primers
- Appliance and Coil Coating Primers
- Chemical Resistant Finishes
- Wood Coatings
- Pipe Coatings
- Flexible Modifiers for Phenolic
- Poly (Ethylene Terephthalate)
- Aluminum Foil
- Poly (Methyl Methacrylate)
- Kraft Paper
- Canvas Duck Cloth
- “B” Stage Phenolic Impregnated Paper
- Glass Fiber Cloth
Phenoxy Resin Properties
Adhesion To Multiple Substrates
Huntsman Advanced Materials Phenoxy resins are polymers of epichlorohydrin and Bisphenol-A with medium to high molecular weights. These thermoplastic polymers have terminal hydroxyl groups as well as repeating hydroxyls along the backbone.
Phenoxy resins (polyhydroxyethers) are tough, ductile polymers having excellent thermal stability, adhesive and cohesive strength, with excellent vapor barrier properties. Phenoxy resins can also react with crosslinkers like isocyanates, phenolic and melamine resins. The solid grade Phenoxy resins vary in glass transition temperature from a low of 84°C for grade PKHB to about 97°C for PKHJ. The differences of Tg and molecular weight amongst these resins are reflected in the range of viscosities attainable at equivalent solids for solvent-borne formulations.
Comparative melt rheological data on the PKHB and PKHH grades. These properties were determined by capillary rheometry at 200°C. Both resins exhibit non-Newtonian flow behavior over the shear rate test range. At a shear rate of 1000 sec.-1 the viscosity of PKHB is 75% lower then PKHH. The melt flow index at 200°C for PKHB is approximately 65 gm/10 minutes (2.16 kg load); PKHH is about 4.4 gm/10 minutes.
Phenoxy resins make outstanding primers because of their excellent adhesion, chemical and salt spray resistance, impact and abrasion resistance, and flexibility. They may be used on metal, wood, paper, glass, and many polymeric substrates.
Advantages of choosing Huntsman Advanced Materials as your phenoxy resin supplier
- Usually begins with an unmet customer need
- Huntsman Advanced Materials R&D team initiates new product development collaboration with customer
- Samples and data are exchanged to verify performance
- This helps the customer achieve superior performance and/or removes some operating costs
- Customers moving into a new market or application that’s outside of their core expertise
- Huntsman Advanced Materials offers guidance on how to best optimize a customer’s formulation performance
- We help customers scale products from lab to initial industrial production
- Our sweet spot is in multi-step synthesis involving predominantly liquid materials
- We excel at safely handling hazardous materials
- Huntsman Advanced Materials’ application testing lab and engineers run a comparative performance & analytical tests, then summarize results
- Huntsman Advanced Materials then recommends a plan to move forward
- In-house capabilities include:
- Physical properties -DSC, TGA, DMA, Tg, molecular weight
- Mechanical properties -tensile strength, modulus, elongation, compression, 3-point bend, lap shear, etc.
- Chemical analysis – GC/MS, HPLC, GPC, FTIR
- Cure rate -gel time, pot life, etc.
- Hardness -shore D, pencil, Koenig
- Particle size analyzer
- Lab scale paint grinding equipment
Where to Buy Phenoxy Resin
Buy phenoxies directly from Huntsman Advanced Materials. Huntsman Advanced Materials provides knowledgable technical support, borad product range and competitive pricing. Contact us for a phenoxy TDS or SDS.
Huntsman Advanced Materials phenoxy resin, also known as Inchem phenoxy resin, Inchemrez, Paphen phenoxy resin, Huntsman Advanced Materials Phenoxies Inc, Rockhill, SC. Learn more about phenoxy group uses by contacting our technical staff. For a full definition of phenoxy /define phenoxies phenoxy Wiki / Wikipedia.